i am always looking for ways to be a little more environmentally friendly. there are some things in our household we can’t change, but there are so many little things we can do to make a small difference. i was inspired while reading this list, so i compiled my own. i chose ten things we could change or improve at our house.
- start collecting “grey” water in our kitchen. i have wanted to do this for a long time, so here’s my moment to start. “grey” water for us means, dish water or left over sips of coffee or water in mugs etc.
- buy more in bulk and bring own bag or container.
- only buy local produce and product when possible. although there are some items we ALWAYS buy that are local, i want to make more of an effort to keep our local economy thriving. this includes food, but also purchasing gifts from local artisans or crafters or independent sellers.
- ride my bike more. poor tallulah doesn’t get the pedal time she deserves!
- when driving use the car more efficiently by getting more errands done in one trip.
- sign up for on-line billing and see how much of that junk the bank mails out can actually be eliminated.
- waste less food. this is becoming an issue for us that fills me with guilt.
- re-use, re=use: do more crafts with cereal boxes or sour cream containers, make grocery lists on used paper, bird feeders out of cartons (*send me your suggestions!)
- make own food: i could bake bread, pickle things more often, dry more herbs….
- unplug small appliances so as not to use “ghost” electricity.
i think that is a very doable list and one that i can always add to or edit as needed. what do you guys think? i would appreciate any feedback.
i will update you with my goings-on. wish us luck!