since finding out about bear’s egg allergy almost a year ago, we have had to modify our food intake. my meal planning hasn’t really changed that much, but there are some tings that we really miss. like pasta. normal durham wheat pasta. i don’t buy it, as most of the packages say may contain eggs so i don’t think it’s a risk worth taking, so i buy rice pasta.
but, luckily as the taste of rice pasta is a bit plain and bland, i often substitute with gnocchi, which is basically little potato dumplings. yum!
i found this gnocchi and kale recipe at peace, love organic mommy and i knew had to make something similar, with ingredients that we love. so i did and it was a HUGE hit!
3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic
3/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 jar sundried tomatoes
1 large handful of spinach
1/2 red bell pepper
1 portabello mushrooms
1 large package of gnocchi
1. boil a large pot of water. read gnocchi package for water amounts and gnocchi cooking instructions.
2. in a pan heat oil, add diced onions. sautee until lightly browned. add chopped mushrooms, basil, salt and other chopped veggies, except the spinach.
3. add sundried tomatoes.
4. stir gently, ensuring the vegetables are evenly cooking.
5. once your gnocchi has boiled, drain water from pot and add pasta to your skillet. continue stirring gently. you want the gnocchi to absorb the flavours of the vegetables and be coated in the olive oil.
6. add spinach. keep stirring. remove from heat.
7. serve in a plate or bowl and top with fresh ground pepper. enjoy!
dear hubby and the boys go gaga for gnocchi. it’s super filling and it doesn’t take much to fill up a belly.
let me know how you like it!